- World Wide Trucker's Strike Updates - Argentina Bl...
- Free Gas Giveaway
- ABX Air and DHL Reach Severance Agreement
- Teamster's Striking and Picketing Ford Plant in Lo...
- Trucking Sector Picking Up
- Attorneys focused on Illinois Nursing Home Neglect...
- Pilgrim's Pride Cut-Backs
- Precast Concrete Building The Future
- Bridge Issues in U.S. Threatens Drivers Wallets
- World Wide Trucker's Strike - Columbian Coffee Tra...
- China Experiences Terrorist Attack by Truck
- World Wide Trucker's Strike - South Africans take ...
- Infor Distribution Solutions
- HD Radio: Free, crystal-clear, Digital Radio
- Texans Dealing With Congestion
- ▼ August (15)
- ► 2007 (204)
Columbia is facing a very serious situation as goods are stuck in warehouses, trucking is slowing to a stand still and the open market is seizing the opportunity to best the Columbian's in coffee bean sales.
A seven day truck drivers’ strike, projected to last into next week is threatening coffee reserves in Buenaventura on the Pacific Coast and Cartagena on the Caribbean.
Truckers' demands for more money to offset increased fuel costs and highway tolls forced talks into deadlock, while “no negotiation talks are scheduled,” according to Nemesio Castillo, president of the Colombian Truck Drivers Association .
A deal reached some weeks ago with Colombia’s President Alvaro Uribe intended to improve freight payments and workers conditions have not been implemented.
Another consequence of the strike is that imported goods are also being tied up in warehouses in Colombia’s ports. A spokeswoman for the Buenaventura Port Authority said it only has capacity for two more weeks.
It is expected that Colombia will export between 750,000 and 800,000 sacks of coffee this month compared to 977, 000 for the same month last year.
Columbia's politicians have definitely not helped this situation and their largest legitimate industry is suffering do to their lack of action reminiscent of an obsessive compulsive trying weight loss products left and right while sitting on a couch watching TV and eating donuts.