- ► 2008 (159)
- Introduction to a Branding Guru
- Ramping Up Ethanol Production
- Chinese Slapped with US Tariff
- Finish the Project Early and Take a Vacation
- Med-Health Deploys Ki4 Wholesale Distribution with...
- Lillian Vernon Lay Off Resulting from Time Life Di...
- Distribution Online in Dallas
- Pet Death Reports Could Push 10,000 - 100,000 deat...
- Petfood Recall Expands to China
- TJX Card Heist
- Attorney Up to the Plate
- Business Travelers Web 2.0 Tips
- KeyLinkSystems Distribution Business Assets to be ...
- Web Based 360 Degree Appraisal System
- Rumors of Ikea moving to the Midwest
- Real Estate Correction Will Help Businesses Find B...
- Daimler HQ Unable to Get a Labor Break
- DivaBeautyProducts Number 1 Senegence Retailer
- Launch of Top10Tech
- Dedicated Servers to Protect Your Customers Initia...
- Qualcomm and Broadcom Dismiss Patent Suits
- Power Password Systems for Enterprise Servers
- Wii Wins Game Against Sony and Microsoft
- 60 Million Containers of Dog Food on 48 Brand Name...
- Credit is Tightening But Credit Card Deals Remain
- Coca Cola Bringing Fresh Water and Wells to Africa...
- Wirefly Deals on Ebay without any Carrier Strings
- Frigid Same Store Sales for February
- Virginia Real Estate
- Peanut Butter Recall Gets Stickier with Extension
- Marijuana Distribution System in Forbes
- Market Correction Corrects Gold Pricing
- CBC Partners with IODA on Digital Distribution
- ZDNet Identifies Microsoft's Distribution Failure ...
- CardFusion.com Helps Source Business Credit Cards
- Wal-Mart Moves to Sell HD Digital Radios in Automo...
- ▼ March (36)
I read a slighty peculiar article in Forbes Magazine this weekend. The article is titled "Inside Dope."
The article details the business process behind marijuana distribution in New York City. Following the crackdowns under the Rudy Giuliani administration, a great deal of drug sales were moved off the streets and into a more refined process, out of sight and out of mind almost.
The process is extremely elaborate utilizing local growers, think of something along the lines of a cellular structure like Al Qaeda except for its growing or manufacturing pot. Along with a secure call center wholesale distributors, an executive management team, packagers, courier managers, couriers and of course customers.
The distribution system is similar to a secure ordering process that you would find through an online merchant.
In other ways it's very similar to a double-blind research study, where each cell of the organization doesn't know the other cells, but overlaid just enough to function.
Regardless this illegal business is big business. Forbes estimates that 25 million Americans smoked pot in the last 12 months. The marijuana crop grown in the United States is also estimated at $36 billion, and the growth of the business increases by 9.6% each year and has over the last 25 years. With that much money at stake it's no wonder that Rudy Giuliani's attempts to remove the unsightly aspects of the drug trade off of the streets, only resulted in the drug trade being moved into a more professional setting.